Sunday, April 29, 2007

Schizophrenia



I feel as though I've been immersed in the world of schizophrenia recently. I've been writing an essay about this topic for university, which has meant focusing heavily on the clinical aspects. In addition, our book group is reading "Tell Me I'm Here" by Anne Deveson this month. This has provided a very personal and heart-breaking account of one family's journey through the hell of mental illness. Finally, my husband Garry is a support person for a family friend who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia for many years. I've been able to talk with his mother about their experience in recent weeks.

It has been good for me to face my ignorance about mental illness. It was also very helpful to be reading Anne Deveson's book while researching schizophrenia. It's easy to become blasé about something when all you're dealing with is impersonal studies and books. I was struck by many things while reading "Tell Me I'm Here", not least by the way certain parts of their journey parallel our journey with Christopher's cerebral palsy.

Thankfully my essay is now finished, which will allow me to focus on other (slightly neglected) parts of my life. Back to packing boxes and decluttering - lucky me!

No comments: