Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Reluctant Bookbinder

The title of my blog today is borrowed from a delightful book by Gwen Diehn, titled The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages. One particular chapter is devoted to the making of one's own journals and I suddenly found myself bitten by the bookbinding bug. After all, who could resist such a thing as a "Three-Minute Pamphlet"? It took me slightly longer than that (but not much) as I needed to scrounge for various tools and supplies around the house. For example, I used brown paper bags for my inner pages; an old manilla folder for the green cover; and dental floss for the sewing - so my mini journal smells rather fresh and minty.


I created a little window in the cover, stuck a picture on the first page, and glued it to the cover. There you have it - my very first home-made notebook/journal. The finished size (closed) is about 8cm x 10.5 cm. I am now looking longingly at the remainder of this chapter, which progresses right through to a section called, "The Two-Hour Extremely Beautiful, Useful, and Sturdy Journal". Well, I can dream, can't I?

No comments: