Monday, April 23, 2007

The Move

It's 6 weeks now until we move from our current home to the Sunshine Coast, and things are getting busier. I have been using index cards to keep myself on track, and to keep a lid on my restless, anxious mind. While we are all really looking forward to living closer to the beach (in a part of the world where it rains once in a while - unlike here!), it is always a challenge to move house.

I have created a set of "moving cards" which I compiled after walking through the house and writing down every single thing I needed to do before packing up each room. Each individual task was then written out on a single card. Because I am also trying to write an essay about schizophrenia for university, and keep up with everyday life, this is how I structure my days: in the mornings I choose 1 moving card, 1 essay-writing card, and 1 "next action" card. These form the main work outline for my day.

What has been really fun is that both Christopher and Catherine love to choose and participate in the "moving cards" with me. My university essay is on track and none of the other essentials are falling by the wayside. Each day, my moving card pile grows smaller (although Garry is starting to get into things and likes to add new cards to my pile!). It will be interesting to see how long this mind like water approach can be maintained in the face of all that @#$%^ packing...

BTW, the photo is of our new lounge room (click on the picture to enlarge)

No comments: