Thursday, January 19, 2006

Family Split

Thought that heading would get your attention!

Here's the story:

About 18 months ago we made a decision to become "at home" vegetarians. That means we eat no meat (except fish) at home, but will eat whatever is offered when we are eating at someone else's home. This hopefully keeps things simple for family and friends. Now, keeping in mind that Christopher is 9 and Catherine is 7, they have been doing a wonderful job of eating chick peas, lentils, tvp (textured vegetable protein) and various other legumes.

Recently though, Christopher made the comment that he's getting sick of being a vegetarian. As a result we had a family meeting and came up with a compromise. Garry and I will continue to be vegetarians, but the kids will go back to eating a little meat in their diets. Each week they get a meat selection to use as they wish. So far they've enjoyed bacon and cheese sandwiches, fried eggs with ham, and little sausages.

On a side note, I was surprised to find that the smell of cooking bacon is no longer pleasurable to me. I thought I would miss meat much more than I have. However, I'm still a sucker for any kind of pizza you put in front of me :)

No comments: