Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Two-Minute Day

Because it's the start of school holidays, Catherine is sick, Garry is recovering from a back injury, we're still homeschooling Christopher this week, and Christmas is rapidly approaching - I was starting to feel really overwhelmed by the house. The hot weather here isn't helping either. Yesterday I felt so unmotivated that I couldn't even bring myself to use Flylady's 15 minute concept.

I finally decided that enough was enough - surely I could do 2 minutes of house keeping?!! So I set the timer for 2 minutes and did one little job in one room. Since that wasn't too bad, I moved into another room and did another 2 minutes. As soon as the timer went off, I stopped that job. I found myself getting into the swing of this, and eventually ended up doing a couple of hours of housework without any stress. Catherine also got into the fun and was a great help with the timer, so I was able to teach her a few little jobs along the way :)

So by the end of the day, as we headed out for our anniversary dinner & movie, I was able to leave the house without feeling guilty about doing no work, and without having to apologise to our babysitter about the mess - because things were presentable.

PS: We went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which we both really enjoyed. However, we won't be letting the kids watch this one in a hurry. The scenes in the maze and graveyard are still well beyond their 'scare level'.

No comments: