Friday, December 09, 2005

Someone Else's Body

There are times when I really struggle with the fact that our son relies on me to be his body. It is difficult in two distinct ways:

Firstly, it's not easy to be constantly interrupted by his needs and wants, when I have needs and wants of my own. At times it feels like such an intrusion to have to be someone else's body. In addition, it's physically demanding to have to engage in transfers so many times throughout a day.

Secondly, I struggle with my own selfishness. Whenever I sigh out loud because he needs another nappy change, or wants to lie on the floor, or get up off the bed, or get in the walker, etc, I feel so guilty for resenting his requests. I immediately condemn myself for not having enough compassion to understand what it must be like for a nine-year-old to be totally reliant on other people for his every basic need, let alone the things every child should be able to enjoy.

It is a real challenge for me to overcome this feeling on a daily basis, and just get on with the business of loving.

No comments: