Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Buried under Backlogs

If there's one thing that really drags me down it's a backlog of paperwork. It's always associated with a niggling fear that somewhere in the pile lurks a disaster waiting to happen. So I was pleased to come across a way to put backlogs in their place. You begin, very simply, by gathering up the undone paperwork and putting everything together in a folder (or if you're like me, in a box or two).

You completely clear your desk, inbox, email program, floors and drawers of all the work that's been lingering for who knows how long. I have even been known to create an email folder called "backlog" for this process, so that my email inbox is completely clear.

Next comes the really cool part - you don't add anything else to the backlog. The rule is that backlogs only ever stay the same size or get smaller. The trick to this is to keep up with any new papers and emails as they come across your path. I do this in a couple of ways, but suffice it to say (for now) that you need some sort of system to clear the deck again by the end of each day.

Finally, set aside a minimum of 5 minutes every day to deal with your backlog. Again, there are numerous ways to do this - but the basic idea is that each and every day your backlog shrinks just a little bit. I usually only spend five minutes on my backlogs (when I have them) but others might want to spend longer. Keep in mind that you need to leave enough time to deal with your new, incoming stuff as well.

And that's it in a nutshell. This idea is described in more detail in a book called "Do It Tomorrow" by Mark Foster. It covers many more concepts - but this was the one that really helped me this year. Backlogs are becoming more rare - and when they do occur, they are much smaller than the first one was. It's a great feeling!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara
My...you do have a backlog! Here's my system which works well. When I open the mail, it generally all gets dumped into a basket. Then when I'm working in the office, I lift out everything in the basket and put into piles eg: TO READ, ACOUNTS, SUPER FUND, TAX, CREDIT CARDS, BANK, WORKPLACE HEALTH & SAFETY etc. If you were doing this system, your piles would of course be different. Then these all go into folders which I stack on one of those metal things. With the TO READ file, I usually spend 15 minutes at breakfast going through a "few" things - chucking out most or putting aside for David to read. With the other files, in my daily TO DO list I list what is to do and then prioritize. With personal stuff like appointments etc I find my diary is great. I have a diary which has a page to a day but also - and this is very helpful, a page at the beginning of each month with each day and date on it. It also has a tab which is great when you're dealing with a fairly large diary (eg day to a page). I also like diaries that have a ring on them so the pages turn easily. On this front monthly page, I write what appointments I have and any details such as appointment cards, pieces of paper to do with the event, I staple to the actual date page. Works a treat. So when I want to know "what's on", I just check the front of the month page, and if I have paperwork to do with the day, it will be stapled on the date page. With emails, I generally answer them very quickly and delete or if a longer response is required and it's not urgent, I print off and put in my TO READ file etc. When I come into the office to work, I just pick up my files and see what's urgent.With my accounts, my banking system (Qld Bank) allows me to pay today an account that might not be due for a couple of weeks - I make a "delayed" payment. This means I can put the account through the system and file it away. I don't have to think about when it's due etc. It comes in, gets paid with the delayed payment system and is filed. Finished! Hope some of these ideas are helpful to you. Love Connie

Tamara said...

Dear Connie,

Don't worry - the photo is not of my backlog :) In fact, I don't have a backlog at the moment.

Thanks for the wonderful description of your system. I love reading about how other people manage these things because there's always something I can use. The way you use your diary is similar to how I use my Tickler File.

My own system has evolved into a very stable one this year, using a combination of different ideas from various sources. Being on top of things really creates its own energy and motivates me to keep up with it.

Love,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Dear Tamara

glad that pile is not really your backlog. I could not imagine you letting things get that unmanageable with all the wonderful systems you have in place.

I have a pretty A4 basket in a kitchen - out of sight but very easily got at. All pending appointments, bills, raffle tickets (ugh - phone requests from charities) etc go in there. I rely more on my calendar for appointments as I pass it many times a day and recheck it, but keep the written invitations in the basket as well.
While dinner is cooking and I am enjoying a little tipple!!, I go through the basket and take care of anything due in the next day or so. I then can check everything in there and leave it for later if it is not urgent.
Love
Valda

Tamara said...

Dear Valda,

My favourite part of your system is the "little tipple" - perhaps that's the secret to your amazing ability to keep up with everything while making it look completely effortless.

You must be one of the people FLYlady calls "Born Organised". Sadly I am not - it has taken me fifteen years to get to this point :)

Love,
Tamara