Friday, November 23, 2007

This I Can Say

"We journey on different paths, in many ways, from different directions. Yet when we join together in reverence and respect, we begin to see our connections to one another and to spirit" L. Mooney

On officially becoming a "Quaker" earlier this year, after several years of attending Quaker meetings, I was presented with the book, "This We Can Say". It's a collection of quotations by Australian Quakers and it's a wonderful bedside book for browsing through at night. There are poems, snippets, reflections and mini-essays all of which try to express some facet of what it means to be a Quaker in Australia today. Each time I dip into this book I am refreshed and strengthened by what I read.


I don't really know how to express my spiritual affiliation anymore. It used to be so black and white once upon a time. But nowadays I find myself drawn to paths that allow all people to be themselves. I guess I'd call myself a 'Zen Quaker' right now, but even that is deceptive and misleading.

I like the Quaker focus on equality, integrity/truthfulness, community/caring, simplicity, peace and care of the earth. I also like the fact that most people who call themselves Quakers (that I know of) have lived in a way that I find inspiring, challenging, or encouraging.

As for Zen - well, I'm certainly no Buddhist - but I like the clear cut simplicity and the gentleness of Zen. It's calm and quiet, but also fiery and passionate. I kind of wish I was like that myself. So the dichotomy of calling myself a Zen Quaker suits me right now. It probably won't always be right for me.... but it is enough of a challenge for today :)

P.S. Quakers are not necessarily connected to the oatmeal of the same brand name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Girl
I admire your honesty with the spiritual path you are walking at this time. So many (myself included) Chistians who have been raised within a fairly fundamentalist atmosphere would find it difficult and perhaps frightening to fully embrace an approach to their faith which leaves room for such honesty of the heart. Of course, we shouldn't be frightened if we believe our Heavenly Father loves us and is walking with us every day - but old habits die hard. Love Connie

Tamara said...

Dear Connie,

Thanks for your kind comments. It's funny, because I often think about how a blog is an edited version of what's going on in my life. So many things don't make it onto the blog - and yet I do try to keep it as transparent as I can.

Somehow it's freeing to be really honest about who I am and how things are going. There's a lot more energy involved in trying to "keep up appearances", and I don't have that much energy to spare!

Love, T.