Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Shoemakers' children always go unshod


Wouldn't you think that the more you learn about the human body, the more likely you are to look after yourself? The longer I study nursing, the more I see the reasoning behind simple health guidelines like getting some exercise, eating a healthy diet and avoiding excess sunlight in the middle of the day.

Yet nurses are as bad as the rest of us when it comes to their health - perhaps even a little worse. On night shifts it's so tempting to nibble on the thank-you chocolates left at the nurse's station by a grateful family member. Ignoring a full bladder for hours on end while you tend to your patients' toileting needs is an everyday occurrence. I could go on and on.

It's the shoemaker's children syndrome.

Determined not to live up to the proverb, I am trying to put some of the health education we learn at university into practice in my own life. My favourite so far is fibre. LOL. Increasing the fibre in my diet has worked wonders. Now I can recommend it to future patients with a clear conscience (and I am working hard not to use the obvious puns, so be grateful). I wonder what I should try next?

No comments: