Monday, May 21, 2007

Making Lace

Thanks to a very gracious lady, I was introduced to the art of lace-making several years ago. Now, I certainly don't claim to be any good at it, but I do enjoy it!

One of the pleasure of making lace is the use of bobbins - many of which are beautifully crafted works of art in themselves. They are often decorated (in pairs) with glass beads. Handling dozens of bobbins is simply soul-satisfying. They sound soothing, feel wonderful, and look attractive - a pleasure to work with.

Then there's the amazing process of producing actual lace with a little thread and some pins. In many ways I still feel as though it's a mysterious process. I also like the fact that this craft is so rarely seen today.

Here is a photo of a few samplers I have made:



And here are some of my bobbins on a lace pillow:



Not that I have any time for lace-making at the moment, of course, but I thought I'd take a few photos while I was packing my lace-bag away.

No comments: