Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Kite Runner

I've just finished reading 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. I didn't expect to like this book so much. The relationship between the two boys, the relationship between Amir and his father, the kite tournament and the setting (Afghanistan) all combined to create a story that haunted me from the very first chapter. I can certainly recommend this one!

Another book I've just read is 'The Girl in Times Square' by Paulina Simons. At first I expected this to be a girlie book which I chose to read for pure mindless entertainment, as a nice change from textbooks. Somehow, though, the story captured my attention at a deeper level and I ended up really liking it.

I've just begun reading 'Dirt Music' by Tim Winton. I am a fan of 'Cloudstreet', but only after the second reading - I didn't like it so much the first time. 'Dirt Music' is proving dificult for me to get into just now: will have to reserve my judgment on this book for now.

No comments: