Tuesday, August 02, 2005

University Woes

Time to complain about uni already. Three subjects: two nursing, one communications. To my surprise, the communications subject is my favourite! I do have good reason for this though. One of the nursing subjects involves complicated mathematical calculations, and requires 100% for a pass. Fair enough considering that a small error might cost someone their life!

The second nursing subject is certainly interesting, but has been badly presented (so far). No-one seems to know what is going on, including our tutor. Yesterday was especially difficult for me, as we watched a DVD about a traumatic birth. I was fairly anxious and vulnerable, but managed to get through it quite well, which is a relief.

The communications subject has been very well presented. Today our lecturer took us step-by-step through our first assignment, telling us exactly what we needed to do to get the marks. No wonder I'm feeling so positive about this subject!

So uni has been a mixed bag so far, but if I'm completely honest, I have to say I'm loving every minute of it!

Just for fun, here is a sample medication calculation for you to try out:
Jane is a 6 month old infant weighing 4.6kg. She is to be infused with Fungizone Intravenous (amphotericin B), which is supplied in vials containing 50mg. The manufacturer states that the paediatric dose of this medication is 0.5mg/kg and the infusion should proceed over a 60 minute period. Ward protocols indicate that 10mL of sterile water is to be added to each vial and the reconstituted fungicide is then to be further diluted with 490mL 5% dextrose. A 60 drops per mL IV set will be used. What drip rate is appropriate?

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Thanks Liesbeth! Looks like you had the same comment posting problem that I did :)