Monday, February 25, 2008

Clive

While on holidays last week, I picked up a treasure trove in the form of a book by Clive James, called "Cultural Amnesia". It is a series of essays which are just long enough to read in one sitting, but thought-provoking and meaty enough to provide food for thought for many days. Each essay focuses on a person who has made a contribution to culture in the 20th century - although not always in a positive way.

I have enjoyed James's sense of humour and cutting insights ever since Garry and I avidly watched his TV series, "Fame in the 20th Century" (in the hazy days early in our marriage, before kids). A dear friend (Connie) pointed us to his website last year: Clivejames.com click here if you're interested in taking a look.

1 comment:

me trying to look philosophical said...

this book was a great find. I'm taking some notes as I work my way through it in anticipation of posting a review and some weekly snippets and reflections on my site in the near future.
:-)