Monday, January 21, 2008

Committee Bird


A pair of odd-looking birds has had us frantically searching through our field guide this weekend. They are wary, making it hard to spot them through binoculars too. The beak, in particular, was most unusual on a bird of this size. I think it looks like a bird developed by a committee - patching together everyone's ideas with no regard for style and grace. "Hey, let's use a toucan's beak!" "Yeah - and give it eagle's legs and feet" "Great... and since we can't decide on a nest, why not have it lay eggs in other birds' nests?" "Cool!!"

Well, all right - I don't know of any real committee that works like this, but you've got to admit the bird looks odd. It turns out to be a Channel-billed Cuckoo, by the way. Since I couldn't get a clear photo, I've used an image from "The Graham Pizzey & Frank Knight Field Guide to Birds of Australia" - you've got to love any book by a man named Pizzey. Oh, I nearly forgot... for those of you who like birdwatching, I can highly recommend Bill of the Birds as an interesting blog to visit, even if it's in the wrong hemisphere.

No comments: