Sunday, September 13, 2009

Magic Square @ 2 weeks

Two weeks since planting, and things are growing well. The nasturtium seeds have sprouted in this large green pot. Dead-headed marigold flowers are going straight into the garden. It takes one watering can to maintain adequate moisture at the moment, and I've only had to water four times. That's thanks to some nice rain over the last two weeks. I add a heap of kitchen scraps every few days and shovel on a scoop of mulch - which takes care of the composting side of things.


Leisa asked about pest management. So far the biggest pest has been Miss Hermione. The kitchen scrap smells draw her to the compost daily, and she was seen eating from it one day - and subsequently vomiting. Cats! I manage that by making sure I cover the tasty bits with extra mulch. I am going to start harvesting this coming week... just a few leaves here and there for sandwiches.

No comments: