Saturday, June 25, 2005

Beginning Nursing Study

In a few short weeks I will be returning to Uni, for the first time since 1991. Such a lot has happened in the years since I was a student, and it is rather scary to be returning to that world. I never expected to be drawn to Nursing as a profession, and yet here I am. Working as a volunteer in an organisation that cares for people with terminal illness has contributed to my desire to do this. Being the mother of someone with a severe disability is another factor.

There are also other elements that have played their part in my journey to this point. The history of women in healing roles is fascinating. There are very strong traditions of Wise Women who have incredible knowledge of healing - often blending spirituality with their herbology and folk medicine. I have been interested in various aspects of herbal medicine for many years, and have lately enjoyed trying out aromatherapy massage.


Hildegard of Bingen Posted by Hello

A woman who intrigues me in this regard is Hildegard of Bingen. I would love to learn more about her and the way she integrated spirituality and science, as well as art and music. I was delighted to see her name mentioned in the first chapter of my Pharmacology textbook.

No comments: